Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Corporal Himmelstoss

My war experience started with the training of new recruits. As I prepared the trainees for deployment I enjoyed punishing them for their every mistake. I knew the war would be tough for the young men so the toughness was worth it. I admit that I enjoyed making them miserable for my own enjoyment as well. I was furious when my trainees whipped me when all I did was make them better soldiers. When I actually got sent to the front lines, I realized how terrible the war truly was. I hit my lowest point when I faked an injury to get out of the fighting. I finally redeemed myself when I led a trench charge and hauled the body of Hale Westhus back to Paul Baumer. I realized how immature and cowardly I had been through the war and tried to make amends for my actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment